Not for the Weak or Faint Hearted

This is a warning for anyone that comes across this blog.

I am a patriot. I strongly believe in America and the principles that she was founded on. I love this country and will gladly lay down my life so my son, my family, my friends and anyone else can enjoy it's freedoms for one more day. I am very blunt and straight forward. I strongly feel that honesty is best applied that way.

Half-truths are not honesty. Telling people what they want to hear is not honesty. Niceties and Ass-kissing is not honesty. They are methods that weak minded people use to avoid conflict and solving the most pertinent issues.

How many times have you seen someone complain about their boss but as soon as the boss is around, its all smiles and laughter? How many times has someone joked and laughed with you, only to go talk shit behind your back to other co-workers? How many times has someone you know tell you, "someone should say something to him/her". But then avoid the relating conversation when the person approaches.

Those sorry excuses for human beings are the reason why shit doesnt get done or fixed. They are the same people that see the world how THEY want to see it and not how it really is.

If you are one of those people, you should read this. It'll offend the hell out of you. You might not like what I have to say. You might disagree. You might think Im an asshole. But you will always know that you can count on me to tell you the truth.

Again, this is "Not for the Weak or Faint Hearted"

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Little Man's Summer Vacation 2009

Well, were going on the 3rd week of little Victor's 2009 Summer Vacation. He got here on a Thursday night and we went directly to my apartment so we could get some rest. His flight had actually been delayed 3 times so his plane ended up landing around midnight. The next day we packed up our stuff and went to visit my mom in Fort Myers. I hadnt seen her in a while and since I had taken Friday off, I decided to take advantage of the long weekend and drive the 3 1/2 hours it takes to get there. I dont like driving so much and doing such a trip for a regular weekend seems excessive since I would end up having to return the next day.

Back to the story:

We arrived in Ft. Myers and spent some time catching up. I talk to my mom at least once a week on the phone (Im terrible about calling people, even my own family) but face to face conversation I feel is better and not only are you able to talk about more things, you dont have to hold an increasingly hot device up to your ear.

On Saturday, I took the whole family to the beach. We had a great time. I had bought little Victor some snorkeling gear because he knew I liked to snorkel and had asked that I teach him. Any knowledge that I can pass on to the little guy, regardless of how small it may be, I take great pride in doing so. He did a great job. At times, he would dip his head a bit too far into the water and get some water down into the snorkel at which point he would come up coughing but he did get the hang of it eventually. The boy is a natural swimmer.

You may be asking why he's just learning how to do this kind of stuff now at 7 years old. Here's the reason:

Little Victor normally lives with his mom in Kentucky (during the school year). Why Kentucky? Did I meet his mom there? No. His mom and I actually dated in high school for a bit and she got pregnant towards the end of my senior year. We had actually already broken up but at that point in my life, I wasnt thinking with the head on my shoulders... I had always made plans to go to the Army, which I did after graduation and I, having grown up without my own dad for the first 12 years of life, had promised myself as a young kid that if I were to ever have a child, I would always be there for him. Knowing that due to the profession I had chosen to be in the Army, I would not be at home too often, I did the only thing I thought I could do so I could be with my son. I married his mom. She moved to Kentucky with me and after prolonging the inevitable for 4 years, I decided that it was best for little Victor if his mom and I were not under the same roof. So there it is. The reason he lives in Kentucky. Also the reason why he does not know how to swim very well. Since I live in Miami and Florida is surrounded by water in 3 parts, I have the best opportunity to provide for him such an important life lesson.

Anyways...

We spent most of the day at the beach. Little Vic got a great tan (definitely my son), my mom turned into a lobster, my grandmother....well, I dont know what her skin did. When they get to that age, their skin doesnt do much really. And my sisters...Well Maline got a good tan and Gisselle was pretty covered up so she didnt get too much sun. But we all had alot of fun and it was great for all of us to be together.

Afterwards, we cleaned up and loaded everything into my truck. I love going to the beach but I hate the end of it. When all of the things, no matter how much you shake them out and wash them off, still manage to get sand into the vehicle. Which I will spend the next 3 weeks trying to vaccumm out. You dont understand. Im incredibly picky about the cleanliness of my truck and if I see sand, I will pick it out one by one with an eyebrow plucker if I have to. (Thats a bit exagerrated but whatever).

On Sunday we went back to my apartment and I had to get ready for work. As much as I would like to spend every waking second with little man, I still have to work in order to provide all of the things I would like to do with him as well as the places I would like to take him.

Monday and Tuesday he came to work with me. While I was busy with work, I had him practicing his Spanish and from time to time I'd test him. Id give him breaks sometime and let him play the PSP. Every vacation he spends with me, I try to teach him as much Spanish as I can. He does great but the second he goes back to his mom's he loses it. She doesnt speak Spanish to him (although she speaks it herself and understands personally the value of it) cause I guess it takes too much effort and dedication on her part. But he's doing much better with it everytime. He picks up more of it and retains more of it with every vacation he spends with me.

Tuesday, I took him to spend some time with his Grandfather on his mom's side (MC). He looks forward to little Vic's vacations as well because its the only time he gets to see him too. For some reason, his own daughter doesnt let him see his grandson. I really dont know what goes through that woman's mind but I quit trying to figure her out a long time ago. Now I focus all of my attention on little Vic only. Ive realized that he is the only thing that is truly certain in my life. Girlfriends and Friends may come and go. But my son will ALWAYS be my son. Nothing can ever change that.

This was last week. I let little Victor stay with MC for a week and I picked him up on Wednesday. I made sure I called everyday, just like I do when he's with his mom, so he knows that his Papi loves him and is thinking of him. Thursday, we went to Sunset Place and watched Transformers 2. What a great movie. I must admit. I fell asleep for about 10 minutes not because it was boring but because I was just plain tired. Whatever! That gives us an excuse to go watch it again. After the movie we went to Gameworks. I had promised little Victor Id take him to an arcade this week and what better place than Gameworks. I try to make sure I always keep my promises. Im a firm believer in "A man's word is his bond" and I make completely sure that my integrity can never be questioned by anybody. We had alot of fun at GW and we decided to get some pizza. There's an old couple there at Sunset that have a little booth that sell the best cheese and pepperoni pizza's. Afterwards you can get some coffee too.

While we were eating, the news came over the radio about Farrah Fawcet. She had died. I thought to myself, "How sad". She was a truly beautiful woman. Then 20 minutes later, the news about Michael Jackson. At that point it was only that he had been taken to the hospital. I wondered what had happened. Little Victor and I finished our pizza and started walking to the truck.

In the 5 minutes it took to get to the truck, I received about 15 messages from different people telling me that Michael had died. I got in the truck and turned the radio on. No....He was still in the hospital and nothing yet of any death or reason for being in the hospital. I texted some of my friends back and told them to stop spreading rumors. I continued to switch radio stations, going from genre to genre to talk back to genre and listening on what each had to say about Michael. Still no confirmation on any death. Yet the texts kept coming. I asked some of my friends where they heard that he had died. Each one said that, "a friend had told them". Figures...

On the way home some stations would start to confirm and others still held out. It wasnt until I got home and turned on the news to FOX that I started to believe it. I dont care what anyone says, FOX News is the only station that calls it as it is. I dont get all of my information from them but I certainly trust it more than CNN or NBC.

I wouldnt say I was devastated by the news. After all, I didnt know MJ personally. I had never seen him myself. But I did enjoy his music, admired his dance moves as well as his philanthropy and had decided a long time ago that I would not judge him personally in regards to the allegations of child molestation because I was not there. I wouldnt let little Vic stay over night but if we had ever had the chance to meet him, I would have informed little Victor that he had been solely responsible for the music we enjoy today. Regardless of what form it is in. I was sad for him and the things he had gone through in his life and I was sad for his family. Janet especially. They were very close and I believe everyone in the world knew that.

That was yesterday. I had to work today and luckily, my dad had the day off so little Victor stayed with him. I got off at 5 and drove straight home. I walked in the house and little Vic ran up to me and gave me a hug and a kiss. I smothered him for the next 15 minutes with kisses as well as tickeling him in every possible spot that I know he is tickelish in.

Its late now and Ive got to get him to bed. Theres a birthday party tomorrow for one of his little cousins and we will be going. I'm also going to take him to Soccer Locker to buy him some soccer cleats because on Monday he starts Soccer Camp at UM. Monday theres a pool party at MC's house for his daughter (one of my best friends and ironically the one that had introduced me to her sister) who also served in the Army and just got back from Afghanistan. I also have to give a speech on Sunday for a National Guard unit that is deploying to Iraq soon. Sort of a motivation speech.

That is what's planned. The rest will fall into place and I know it will be fun because I am spending it with my favorite little person in the world. My son!

No comments:

Post a Comment

VA Watchdog.org